Search our shop

Xylitol and dog safety.

With so many products that we use everyday with Xylitol in them, it would be very easy for your dog to accidentally get into them. We know Xylitol can be very harmful to dogs, so we made all our tablets Xylitol free so households with pets would have one less thing to worry about.

What is Xylitol?

Xylitol is used mainly as a sweetener that is used in many foods and dental products and is categorized as a sugar alcohol. It's found in many things naturally such as many fruits, so it's considered natural.

Why is Xylitol harmful to dogs and not humans?

The level of blood sugar in our bodies are controlled by the release of insulin from the pancreas. In humans, Xylitol does not stimulate the release of insulin from the pancreas. But in dogs, it quickly goes into their bloodstream that could result in a high level release of insulin. That large release of insulin could result in a decrease in the level of blood sugar called hypoglycemia. You need to treat it quickly or hypoglycemia can become very serious problem.

What to do if you ever think your dog may have eaten Xylitol?

Immediately take your dog to your trusted family vet or an emergency vet clinic. Lots of times hypoglycemia and other side effects may not appear until up to 24 hours later. Depending on how much was ingested or the health condition of your dog, the vet may decide your dog may need to be hospitalized or be monitored for their safety.

Why we use Maltitol instead of Xylitol?

Maltitol is also sugar alcohol but it's not harmful to dogs and has many dental benefits. It's just as sweet at sugar, but contains fewer calories and has a lower glycemic index. Another reason we use in our tablets is that maltitol may be helpful in reducing gingivitis and bacterial growth. It also helps to prevent dental plaque and cavities, unlike regular sugar. For more information on what's in our tablets, check out our ingredient listing.

Check out our Xylitol free tablets